I got inspired to try a homemade burrito bowl after falling in love with the chicken bowl from Winston’s The Porch, if you are ever in town, come EARLY but try this tex-mex place out! I love Mexican meals because the ingredients are always cheap and I can create it as fresh as I want.
You can interchange these ingredients for any kind of customization, these are just my preferred vegetables and protein choice 🙂 If you portion it right after cooking it all, this should make about 3 meals.
- 2 organic free-range chicken breasts, mine pictured also came antibiotic-free
- 8oz lite sour cream-I’m sure there is a better alternative, I just shop at my closest super market
- 1 sweet onion
- Blend of red/green peppers (just never liked yellow/orange)
- 1 avocado
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 can Green Mountain Gringo salsa
- 1 2-cups bag of organic Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 packet of Old El Paso taco seasoning mix
Essentially, everything else can be stoved-top cooked while the chicken is first baking in the oven. I start with my vegetables first because I like them to cook the longest, becoming less crunchy.
- Preheat the oven to 400F | Bake chicken breasts until completely done all the way through
- Chop red/green peppers and 2/3 of the onion | Cook heat setting 5 on stove top, drizzled with olive oil and a tablespoon of the taco seasoning
3. Drain black beans and combine, in a sauce pan, with 3/4 salsa can | Simmer the entire time
4. Once the chicken is fully cooked, let cool | Cut into bite-sized pieces
5. For the stove top: combine chopped chicken, 4oz of sour cream, 3-4 tablespoons of taco seasoning and 1.5 cups shredded cheese | Cook until sour cream and cheese has melted and created a creamy coating
6. Layer as you desire and feel free to use the rest of sour cream and cheese to top (don’t forget your sliced avocado)!
Let me know what you think and if you have something similar or one with variations! I am always up for food adventures. ENJOY